Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Ready

Bua noite!
Well, I've had my last lecture in Brazil. Monday and Tuesday were pretty much like every other Monday and Tuesday here, except for a couple of things. Firstly, I got one of our lecturers choked up. She had told us she started out in medical school and then switched to researching healthcare models. At the very end of the lecture, I asked her why she switched (I'm always kind of curious why people leave medical school), and she said it was because her dad died of an easily preventable disease when the health care model Brazil had at the time wouldn't let him get treatment. I felt sort of bad for asking at that point, but she gave me a big hug when we left and told Mariana how much it meant to her that I asked-apparently she doesn't get to talk about it very much.

And on Tuesday, during what would normally be our discussion/computer time, we had a mock debate about the healthcare system. It ended up being a flop, becuase the two groups got confused on what exactly we were arguing, and ended up saying all the same things, but it was nice to realize how much I've learned on this trip.
Also, on Tuesday, I got my nails done again, and some of the boys came with us. The nail salon ladies kept asking if they were our boyfriends and could they go out with them, etc. Neither group really fully understood what the other group was saying, but there was much laughing and smiling. I went to the street party in Pelourinho again, but didn't stay for too long. The police weren't there that night, so everyone was smoking marijuana, which gives me a really bad headache. I stayed long enough for the one band to finish, and then Erica and I grabbed a taxi home. We did not get pulled over this time :)
Today we toured a hospital and the state laboratory. The lab was a little dry, because we had seen pretty much all the same things at the municipal laboratory, but it was still kind of cool to meet some of the lab techs. They are in charge of testing food and water throughout the state, as well as diagnosing and tracking various diseases. The food lab was kind of gross-they had maggots in chocolate!
The hospital was a little bit difficult for me to get through. On one hand, it was really nice to actually be able to see some patients. We got to talk to a couple of old ladies who were receiving treatment for rheumatoid arthritis. They have to take a 3 hour long bus ride every 2 months to get to the hospital, but they receive much needed and very expensive ($2000 per visit) treatment. There were also a decent amount of sick kids, old people with broken hips, and some stab victims (violence is a huge problem here), but everyone seemed to be on the mend and seemed very appreciative of the care. The doctors were a bit frazzled of course, but they were excited to have us there.
The pediatric emergency room even was actually okay, even though I had expected that to be the most difficult. It was quiet, and there were enough beds, and all the kids seemed to be doing pretty well. We had a small lecture on the resuscitation room, which I stepped out of, but that was more of a "I don't need to be in here" than a "I need to get out!"
The hard part was the adult emergency room. There weren't nearly enough beds, so people were just hooked up in the hallway. This wouldn't have been such an issue, except that our guide was lecturing right in the middle of them-no matter where we stood, we were in the way of some doctor trying to help a patient. When we got to the patients who actually had beds, I still felt like I was being really invasive. I want to see patients, and I want to see action, but I don't want to be a tourist in the middle of someone trying to survive a heart attack. The worst was when they took us to the "semi intensive" rooms. The second room had a bunch of sad looking people in it, and it sort of felt like we were at the zoo. The first room they wouldn't let us in, and I found out why.....as we were leaving, they opened the door and I caught a glimpse of a body bag. That was enough to throw me, but then we we finally got out (because at that point I was just ready to leave, we didn't need to be in the ER anymore), we stopped to talk in the hallway, and they rolled the body out right by us. To my credit, I didn't break down, didn't cry, just turned away, but it was still tough.
It has got me thinking though.....I know I'm still knee deep in my healing process, and I know that it's already been getting better, but what's going to happen the first time I have to treat a drowning victim? Will I be able to handle it? I'll probably be fine the second time, but what if I choke trying to help that first person?
I think I'm ready to come home. This past weekend I was ready to move here, but now I just miss things. Chile dog, my own bed with nice sheets, quiet nights, creme brulee from Soup Spoon, a greasy olive burger with fries and real ketchup and a mountain dew from Mr. Burger....I wish I could teleport....I'd go home for a few days, pop back here to the beach, etc :)
Anyway. We're going to a different hospital and a research lab tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to it. This hospital is newer and thus "nicer", so we get to see the difference. We're also going to the waxing institute tomorrow (hey, we are in Brazil), and getting ready for a final presentations. Friday we get to sleep in, give our presentations, and party with our professors. I'm also planning on a last minute trip to the beach and Pelourinho for more gifts...I keep forgetting people!
Tonight should be an easy night. I downloaded some trash books for my kindle, Domiyana made a great dinner which I'm about to devour, Trinidad made me a caparinha, and I think I'm going to sit out in the hammock.
See you all in a few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment