Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Street Party Madness!

Ay yai yai....
I just got back from a street party in Pelhorino. Pelhorino is the "old city" in Salvador. When you see all the colorful houses and everything, that's Pelhorino. Anyway, every Tuesday, they have the amazingly huge street party with drummers and music and everyone passing jokes and drinking beer. Geronimo (from Michael Jackson fame) plays there during the summers. He wasn't there tonight, but tonight's party was extra special due to Independence Day. They had several huge floats with deities, and several thousand people dancing in the streets.
Class was pretty fun too. We had our first "not in English" lecture today. It was pretty hard to follow. Our professor lectured in Portuguese while a translator repeated everything into headphones. It was very difficult to focus.
We had lunch at the university at this cute outdoor cafe. A man from one of the Amazon tribes came around selling earrings, but he ran out of the ones that I liked. Mariana asked him to make more and come to our hostel, so I'm crossing my fingers.
Our days are VERY long. We get back from class and all I want to do is sleep, but there's so much more of the city. I haven't been sleeping very good (nightmares), so it's kind of a drag, but hopefully I'll find my balance soon.
More photos to come :)
-Brit

No comments:

Post a Comment