Saturday, July 13, 2013

American History, and some family history

Today I traveled to Hartford area with my grandfather's cousin and got to learn about some important people/places in American history, and I got to learn a little bit more about my family history as well. 

The American history tour was centered on Wethersfield, Connecticut. Wethersfield was founded in 1663/4 and is known as "Ye most auncient towne in Connecticut". It was home to Silas Deane, the first American diplomat to France and an important player in the American Revolution. Its town symbol is the red onion, as they were cultivated here and became an important export crop, especially to slave colonies in the Caribbean. It's also the setting for the young adult fiction novel "Witch of Blackbird Pond". 

My take? Lots of really cool old houses, friendly people with tons of historical knowledge, and great antique stores. 

The picture below is one of the earliest built houses, and has been restored to look as closely as possible to its original form. 


This next picture is of the Webb House, which is part of the tour of the Webb-Deane-Stevens Museum. The tour, which is $10 per person and well worth it in my opinion, takes you through all three houses.

The Webb House is particularly famous for having housed George Washington for a few days as he planned the Yorktown campaign, which was integral in America winning the American Revolution. All of the houses have been refurbished to the best of the museum's knowledge and ability to their original forms.


This is another especially old house - built just a few decades after the town was founded. The style is traditional Georgian - very symmetrical. Notice the cool front door!


Here's a close up of the historical plaque. Keep in mind that this is not one of the museum's houses - this house is actively lived in. This house is older than our country, has been through several (I hope) plumbing updates, and still has people living in it some 300+ years later.


The rest of the trip focused on my own family history, and visiting some important family sites.

My dad's family is originally from the east coast - my dad was born in New Jersey before moving out to Michigan with the rest of his family at a relatively young age. However, my great-grandmother (my father's father's mother) lived in Connecticut for most of her life, as did many of my other ancestors, and there's lots of family history lying around if you look closely enough.

From a historical standpoint, most of my ancestors on this side of the family came over to America early on in its development, starting in the 1600's. There's some evidence of them being "founding" families, and there's a case to be made for a rather famous gardener, Amy Cogswell, being a (very) distant relative. My grandfather's cousin is a pretty good sleuth when it comes to this, so I look forward to learning more from him as he discovers more.

The house below is my great-grandmother's house. She lived here until she moved out to Michigan for the last few years of her life.


We also visited her grave. I was lucky enough to actually know and remember my great-grandmother - she died just before my 4th birthday. It's crazy for me to think about how much she lived through - the Great Depression, two world wars, the cold war, and more. She died just before her 90th birthday. I just remember her as this very nice, good smelling lady with soft, white hair, and that she had the coolest collection of crystal and porcelain animals.



She's buried in the family plot, which includes her husband, her parents, her uncle, and her grandparents. She is also buried in the same cemetery as Katherine Hepburn and Samuel Colt.


My great-great-grandparents lived in this next house, not for very long though. My grandfather's cousin said it was very, very small - the entire house consisted of a small living room, a single bathroom, the kitchen, and a single bedroom upstairs. 


And just to make the cycle complete, my great-great-GREAT-grandparents lived in this house! It's very rundown now and has been divided into several apartments, but it's still kind of cool to know that they lived here.


All in all, it was a very knowledgeable day.

No comments:

Post a Comment