Sunday, July 14, 2013

Bronx Zoo!

Today I went to the Bronx Zoo! It was very hot, and I didn't get to see everything (holy cow it's much bigger than I thought), but I had a fun time.

I ended up buying a zoo membership - it lets you get into ALL of the NY zoos for free, plus free parking, discounts at their stores, and I can bring a guest at no charge. Since I plan on going to the other zoos while I'm staying here and maybe want to go back to the Bronx, I figured it was worth it. The membership also gives you full park privileges like riding the tram (TOTALLY WORTH IT JUST FOR THAT).

The zoo had this really cool monorail that took you through the Asian animal exhibit. Here are some friendly elephants!


 The architecture of the main zoo was really pretty. This is part of the "central" zoo exhibit - the inside was undergoing renovations, but it was beautiful to walk through anyway.


Those of you that know me personally know that I own a bearded dragon and have a fondness for all things reptilian. This was a very active and friendly chuckwalla.


And this was a very pretty snake, nicknamed the Rhino Viper. She had beautiful eyes and scales


Beautiful and deadly: a very alert rattlesnake.


Another favorite part of the architecture: all of the original "houses" had animal carvings on the outside! The reptile house, pictured below, had crocodiles, snapping turtles, and frogs carved into it, while the old big cat house had lions, leopards, and tigers, etc.

I'm not sure what kind of bird this is, but he is very beautiful!


Some of the bird exhibits were open air - either you walked through them, or they simply had no glass. This guy was maybe 3 feet above me and was very curious about my camera.


Finally, one of my favorite birds simply because of its name: The Tawney Frogmouth!


The Bronx Zoo, like most zoos nowadays, is very big on conservation. The gorilla exhibit was one of the special "extra" exhibits and focused on gorilla and rainforest conservation, and was very well put together.


Like I said, I didn't get to see everything today, and it was VERY hot so a lot of the bigger animals were hard to find, so I might try to go back another day with comfier shoes and a water bottle :)

Overall though, an amazing zoo and I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment