Friday, July 5, 2013

Fireworks and a Stolen Sandal

Happy (belated) 4th of July!

I've been busy with my internship and spending most of my free time lounging by the pool. I don't off from work until 5, and by then I just want to change out of my work clothes and relax a bit, so I haven't really done much with my evenings.

I have been to some cute little restaurants in Greenwich though, and I'll be doing a write up on each of them. So far I've been very impressed with the people of this area - EXCEEDINGLY polite.

I also went and saw a movie on Wednesday that I had really been wanting to see: Joss Whedon's "Much Ado About Nothing". It's currently cycling through a limited release throughout the country, so if it's going to be at a theater near you, I highly recommend it.

Anyway, my 4th of July ended up being a little more eventful than I planned on it being!

I decided to see the Fairfield fireworks. I had originally planned on driving up to New Haven, but it was a much further drive and I was worried about the traffic coming back home. Fairfield, however, ended up being fun. I had kind of an adventure trying to find a place to park, but there was lots of room on the beach for little ol' me to spread down a towel and enjoy the show.

The fireworks were very good - I managed to get a couple of low quality fireworks with my phone.




A few people had brought their own Chinese Lanterns. It was entertaining because one of them had a slight rip in it, so it had some trouble lifting up. It eventually caught a bit of the breeze coming off the ocean, and everyone around me starting cheering. Pretty cool :)



What was NOT so much fun were the idiots who, halfway through the fireworks show, decided they needed to videotape and comment on the entire thing. There were probably 4 or 5 of them and very "Jersey Shore" in their demeanor. The one guy kept taking pictures with flash and the one girl was doing a selfie video (with light) and in general were just very rude.

I also had a bit of a scare on my way out. The beach had a bit of a bottleneck when you tried to leave - there were just a couple of narrow boardwalks to get back to the parking, so thousands of people were crammed together for a while. Being by myself and not towing kids/strollers/huge bags/etc, I was able to get through most of it fairly easily, but at one point I was stuck just like everyone else. I happened to feel a slight tug on my purse, and I whirled around only to find a hand reaching into my purse, and then the person running off through the crowd.

Naturally, I'm a bit pissed off!

However, when I started digging through my purse to see what my pick-pocket has stolen, I find that my wallet, keys, and cell phone are still safely zippered in the bottom of my purse.

However, my flip flop is missing.

I had taken off my sandals when I started walking on the beach, and had stuffed them into my purse. Stupid idiot either grabbed it or knocked it out of bag when he tried to take more important things.

I was glad nothing of import of was taken, but I sure was annoyed I had to walk back to my car barefoot!

No comments:

Post a Comment