Saturday, July 20, 2013

Saturday Preview: AMNH, the MET, Central Park, and Beer

I had an amazingly busy day today! It is still SUPER SUPER HOT in NYC, so decided I would take advantage of the air conditions in some of the museums. 

After sleeping in (I didn't get home until quite late because of Sleep No More), I headed back into NYC with three things in mind: the American Museum of Natural History, the MET, and Central Park. I'll be doing separate posts with all of my photos from the museums, but in the meantime here is a little sampler of my adventure!

First up was the American Museum of Natural History, or as I like to refer to it, the house of bones. They do have a lot of cool non-fossil/stuffed animal exhibits, but the main focus (and my favorite part) was the very, very large collection of bones, ranging from before dinosaurs up to today. They also have some special exhibits which you have to pay extra for. I was planning on going to see the Whale exhibit, but it was unfortunately sold out by the time I got there. 


Once I was done with the AMNH, I cut through Central Park and got to sneak a peek at the public shakespeare stage. They also have statues of some of the more famous plays.


I also caught a glimpse of the obelisk.


I then went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, commonly referred to as the Met. This is the largest museum I have ever been too. This picture doesn't do it it justice on how BIG this building is. I managed to see maybe about 1/3 of the exhibits in the 5 hours I was there. Granted, I got to see all of the exhibits I wanted to see so I wasn't disappointed, but you could spend an entire weekend in here and probably not see everything.

Cool fact about most of the museums: there is no set price for admission. There's a recommended amount to pay, but you technically can pay as little as you want and still get to see all of the exhibits.

The special costuming exhibit at the MET was called PUNK: chaos to couture. It was very well done, and was unfortunately a camera free zone so I have no photos of it. Thankfully I remember all the cool techniques I want to apply to my costuming.


When I was finally done (I stayed until close), I met up with a classmate of mine at Kinsale Irish Tavern on 3rd Ave. The drinks were cheap, the potato skins were delicious, and the music was excellent. I'll definitely be returning here. Pictured below is my drink of choice for the evening, a concoction called a Snakebite: half Harp, half hard cider. Very good, and very potent.


Tomorrow I plan on heading back into the city (still much cheaper to ride the train in every day than get a hotel room - we'll see what happens in the next few weekends though) and visiting the Intrepid Sea and Space Museum and the Museum of Sex.

No comments:

Post a Comment