Friday, July 12, 2013

Another sandal bites the dust...

I had originally planned on going into NYC today after work, but some severe thunderstorms put a damper on that plan.

Instead, I decided to check out Greenwich Avenue, which is supposed to be a very posh shopping district in Greenwich CT.

I unfortunately was not very impressed.

First of all, upon stepping out of my car, I broke a strap on my sandal. This means I am now down two pairs on this trip! This also made it very difficult walking around the avenue, which is situated on a long hill, until I bought a shoestring at the local CVS and jerry-rigged a strappy solution.

Second of all, it was their annual sidewalk sale, which made it very difficult to walk around. The sidewalk is already not very wide, and the little tents they had set up made me feel a bit claustrophobic. The prices of the few things I stopped to look at were not very good either.

It's also a very pricey district. Part of this is just my problem - I'm on a college girl budget, and I've inherited my mother's thrifty-ness. I'm just never going to be one to spend $500 on a purse. But there were some flagship stores that I've seen before (Lucky Brand, Ralph Lauren, etc), and there was a definite markup.

Everything closed down very early too - most stores were completely shut down by 6 pm on a Friday night. This doesn't exactly make it easy to do some real shopping when you get out of work at 5, but I guess a lot of the women who shop here don't really work a traditional 9-5 job.

I will say it was a very pretty area, and once I got my shoe fixed, it was fun walking around. I spied some fun yarn-bombing on a local statue.


Annnnd there were some really good looking guys walking around with cute dogs. So, I might try coming back here when I have a little more time and there's not as much sidewalk chaos.

No comments:

Post a Comment